The International Nuremberg Principles Academy held a live online launch of the fourth volume of the Nuremberg Academy Series, entitled Integrity in International Justice, edited by Professor Morten Bergsmo and Dr. Viviane E. Dittrich on 2 February 2021.
The recently published book is the first book-length publication to analyse integrity in international justice comprehensively. The anthology is comprised of 33 contributions addressing the meaning of integrity, awareness and culture of integrity, the roles of international organisations, States, and international courts, integrity through the lens of cases, and the relationship between independence and integrity. Integrity in International Justice is a timely contribution to the field, particularly considering recent developments such as State sanctions imposed against international institutions officials, the release of the Independent Expert Review of the International Criminal Court (‘ICC’), as well as the elections of six new judges as well as the Prosecutor of the ICC.
The online book launch included a brief presentation of the book and was followed by a moderated panel discussion with high-level practitioners and academics. The Q&A session allowed the audience to ask questions to the speakers. The panellists discussed, inter alia, the following topics:
- The meaning and understanding of ‘high moral character’ as a relevant benchmark in the election and mandates of high-level officials at international justice institutions.
- Reflections on integrity and the ICC’s Independent Expert Review released in September 2020.
- Impartiality and independence as paramount elements to uphold integrity across international justice institutions.
- Available and required measures to uphold and safeguard integrity and foster a culture of integrity in international justice institutions.
The speakers included:
- Judge Richard Goldstone, Chair of the Independent Expert Review, former Chief Prosecutor of the International Criminal Tribunals for the former Yugoslavia and for Rwanda
- Judge Ivana Hrdlicková, President of the Special Tribunal for Lebanon
- Judge Adel Maged, Vice President of the Court of Cassation of Egypt
- Dr. Brigid Inder, Co-founder and former Executive Director of the Women's Initiative for Gender Justice
- Gunnar M. Ekeløve-Slydal, Director of Policies, Norwegian Helsinki Committee
- Dr. Viviane Dittrich, Deputy Director of the International Nuremberg Principles Academy
The event was recorded and the video will shortly be available on the Nuremberg Academy’s YouTube channel.
You can download the e-book version of the book here on the Nuremberg Academy website and order the print version of the book via the via the TOAEP website or online booksellers such as Amazon directly.