The International Nuremberg Principles Academy (Nuremberg Academy) is pleased to announce the upcoming anglophone edition of the Nuremberg Summer Academy for Young Professionals which will be held online from 31 July to 11 August 2023.
Admission to the Nuremberg Summer Academy is competitive. Participants are carefully selected among a pool of several hundred applicants, with a special focus on young professionals from conflict and post-conflict countries. Guided by leading international experts and practitioners, the young professionals will gain practical knowledge on the investigation, prosecution and adjudication of core international crimes.
The intensive two-week programme is divided into two parts: (1) daily guided self-study time; and (2) live sessions, followed by interactive group discussions. The self-study time and the live sessions will provide both an academic and practical perspective of international criminal law, while group discussions will strengthen the learned skills in practical assignments.
1. Introduction to International Criminal Law
2. International Crimes Part 1 (Genocide)
3. International Crimes Part 2 (Crimes Against Humanity)
4. International Crimes Part 3 (Introduction to International Humanitarian Law and War Crimes)
5. International Crimes Part 4 (Sexual and Gender-Based Violence incl. Violence Against Children)
6. Individual Criminal Responsibility and Modes of Liability
7. Investigation and Prosecution of International Crimes (incl. Procedure)
8. International Cooperation and Judicial Assistance
9. National Prosecutions of International Crimes
10. Victims’ Rights in International Criminal Law
11. International Fair Trial Standards: The Rights of the Defence
12. Current Challenges of International Criminal Justice