Judge Thomas Buergenthal passed away unexpectedly on 29 May 2023 at the age of 89. An Auschwitz survivor, Buergenthal was a judge at the Inter-American Court of Human Rights and the International Court of Justice. As a law professor he founded the research field of international human rights. He was very committed to the founding of the International Nuremberg Principles Academy, became the first President of the Academy’s Advisory Council and eventually its Honorary President.
The Nuremberg Academy honoured the life of this great personality of the understanding between peoples with an event on 21 November 2023 at 5.30 pm in Courtroom 600 of the Nuremberg Palace of Justice. The event was held in German with simultaneous interpretation into English.
Moderation: Shelly Kupferberg
Part I: Greetings and Tributes
- Professor Dr Christoph Safferling, Director, International Nuremberg Principles Academy
- Thomas Dickert, President, Higher Regional Court of Nuremberg
- Anne Rübesame, former law clerk to Thomas Buergenthal at the International Court of Justice
Followed by explanations on the project idea and implementation by
Klaus Rackwitz, former Director, International Nuremberg Principles Academy
Part II: Documentary "Peace Through Justice" about the life of Thomas Buergenthal
(produced by the International Nuremberg Principles Academy with the kind support of the Zukunftsstiftung der Sparkasse Nürnberg)
Followed by memories of Thomas Buergenthal from his grandchildren
Part III: Discussion on the Merits of Thomas Buergenthal in International Law
- Professor Dr Dres h.c. Angelika Nußberger, M.A., Universität zu Köln
- Dr Wiebke Rückert, German Federal Foreign Office, Berlin
- Professor Dr Stefanie Schmahl, Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg
End around 8 pm
Participation was possible without prior registration.